Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2011

And then, Winter Came

It's cold in Denver. Very Cold! I walked 10 blocks to the grocery store and had a snot cube when I got there. Gross, I know - but that's how cold it is.


Other than a grocery trip, I've stayed nestled in my home, away from the cruel, unforgiving air. The white snow seems playful and is pretty from behind my window, but after my walk I decided it's best enjoyed from my couch while sipping a cup of coffee. That was a good decision. The coffee is scrumptious -warming my frostbitten limbs -as it trickles down to my stomach. I'll keep snow at a distance today.




I went to sleep last night, knowing that I wouldn't leave my house today. Last night was bitter outside too. Most of the schools in the Denver area already announced closure by the 5pm news. Despite a city used to snow, it shut down. I think everyone was looking for an excuse to stay home. I was.


Today turned into a productive day. I practiced yoga, wrote in my journal, looked through recipes, read, made a good lunch, read some more. I baked 4 loaves of bread and the sweet smell of yeast is looming over my head. It's been a good day - I'm planning on a movie later.

Aside from coffee, I crave soup on this kind of wintry day. I can't think of anything else I'd rather have. This is what forced me to walk to the store. I would have driven, but my car wouldn't start. There are not many things I'd walk 10 blocks in negative degree weather for. My stomach is a bit controlling.

I came across this soup recipe last autumn in a cookbook entitled EatingWell in Season: The Farmer's Market Cookbook. The recipe has everything good purred into a soup. It's rich, flavorful and creamy. Mmm... I love creamy! But, believe it or not, the soup contains no cream. Nothing against cream - we are inseparable friends and a bit possessive of each other's company - but my winter thighs need their distance. This recipe is a delightful compromise between maintaining flavor while keeping the fat content down. So, instead of cream giving this soup its richness, it is the vegetables that do it. Imagine that.




The recipe - Roaster Pear-Butternut Soup - is simple and to the point. There is not much brain-work that goes into it and the measurements can easily be adjusted to your liking. Amazing things can happen when the smell of pear, butternut squash and leeks are roasting in your home - like your neighbors might come knocking on your door to forgive you of the 10ft statue in your front yard just for a taste. It might be wise to indulge them.

It is a filling soup as all the good fiber expands in the belly. So, be conscious if you're saving room for dessert. It will leave you feeling good and full, not fat and lethargic. It might even give you a little energy to get outside and shovel the snow; or at least stay awake for a movie.


I've altered this recipe slightly. I typically use either blue or Gorgonzola cheese. The cheese is such a nice compliment that I strongly encourage it. Also, I use 1 can of diced tomatoes instead-for simplicity sake. Like I said, the measurements of each vegetable/fruit are up to you, but here is a guideline.

Roasted Pear-Butternut Soup with Crumbled Stilton

2 ripe pears, peeled, quartered and cored
2lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 2-3 inch chunks
2 medium tomatoes, cored and quartered or 1 can of diced tomatoes, drained
1 leek, pale green and white parts only, halved and lengthwise, sliced and washed
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teas salt, divided
fresh ground pepper to taste
4cups vegetable broth
1/2cup blue cheese, Gorgonzola or Stilton or any other blue-veined cheese

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Combine pears, squash, tomatoes, leek, garlic, oil, 1/4 teas salt and pepper into a roasting pan; tossing to coat. Spread evenly onto pan and roast until vegetables are tender. apx. 45-55min. Let cool a bit.

Place 1 cup of roasted veggies into a blender and then 1 cup broth. Puree until smooth and then pour into large saucepan. Do this until both vegetables and broth are gone.

Once everything is blended, cook soup another 10 min on medium-high heat in saucepan or until warm throughout.

Separate into bowls and then garnish with cheese. Enjoy with some warm bread!

1 comment:

  1. Love the pic of the evergreen....and the soup looks wonderful! Thanks for the recipe. I'll give it a try sometime soon. Sadly (or maybe not so much), it will be Chinese for us tonight :) Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete